- split ticket
- nouna ballot cast by a voter who votes for candidates from more than one party• Ant: ↑straight ticket
* * *noun: a ticket or ballot cast by a voter who splits his vote : ballot on which the voter has voted for candidates of more than one party — compare straight ticket
* * *U.S. Politics.1. a ballot on which not all votes have been cast for candidates of the same party.2. a ticket on which not all the candidates nominated by a party are members of the party. Cf. straight ticket.[1830-40, Amer.]
* * *split ticket UK US noun americanPhrase: vote a split ticket
* * *split ticket,1. a ballot marked or cast by a voter for some candidates of one party and some candidates of another party.2. a ballot that lists candidates of more than one party.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ -ets [count]US : a ballot on which a voter votes for candidates from more than one political party
* * *(in elections in the US) a vote in which sb votes for candidates from two different partiesDerived Word: ↑split-ticket
Useful english dictionary. 2012.